Lead, Mercury, Heavy Metals

Lead and mercury and the two most common heavy metal hazards.

Lead is a soft, highly malleable, ductile, mealthy. It is usually bluish-white, and is known to be a poor conductor of electricity with a low melting point. Lead is very resistant to corrosion but will tarnish upon exposure to air. Lead can enter the human body through the intake of food (65%), water (20%) and air (15%) with damaging effects to human health.

Lead was once used in paint, toys, and gasoline and is still used in batteries, solder, pipes, pottery, roofing materials, and some cosmetics.

Lead poisoning can be hard to detect initially. Even people who seem healthy can have high blood levels of lead. Symptoms don’t appear immediately, only after dangerous amounts have accumulated in the human body.

Exposure to even low levels of lead can cause damage over time. The greatest risk is irreversible brain damage can occur. Higher levels can damage the kidneys and nervous system in both children and adults. Very high lead levels may cause seizures or death.

Pure mercury is a liquid metal, it traditionally is used to make products like thermometers, switches, and some light bulbs. Exposure can occur when mercury is spilled or products that contain mercury break and expose mercury to the air.

Mercury poisoning can occur when breathed in as a vapor and is then absorbed through the lungs. It’s worse if you have allergies or asthma, as it affects the upper respiratory system. Mercury exposure at high levels can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system of people of all ages.

Remediclean environmental contractors remove hazardous heavy metals including lead and mercury from your home, office, store, or other facility. Our remediation services include collection, testing and analysis, containment and remediation, decontamination and removal, clean-up and disposal.